Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Adventures in a bad hair cut

I've been trying to grow my many layers of hair out. I decided that it was time for longer hair. I often look at my sisters and moms hair and wish mine was that long and pretty again. Both have hair well below their shoulders that is pretty and wavy and wonderful looking. Alas my hair has been short for awhile now. Every time I start to grow it out it gets to that horrible point inbetween your chin and your shoulders when it just looks terrible all the time and I can't take it any longer. So I cut it. Well this time was no different. I was feeling like I needed a change. Instead of doing my normal 14.00 cost cutter hair cut I sought out and found the girl who used to cut my hair. She is wonderful...but expensive. Spring was here though and I thought something to lighten things up would help with me growing out my hair ... boy was I wrong.

Things seemed fine at first. We talked about what I wanted to do and how I just wanted some hightlites etc etc. She convinced me how good my hair would look if I went darker and then lighter at the bottoms (ombre) and I thought ... well why not. Bad choice number 1. Then she went in and started 'trimming' my hair...and I let her ... bad choice number 2. As she took out the foils of my hair I thought I really didn't like it. It was sort of 'meh' and it was DARK. But I didn't say anything ... bad choice number 3 ... I'd had these little fly away bangs that I hated for awhile so I asked her to give me a nice thick long bang (something I'd had before and loved). Bad choice number 4! She said ok and started cutting...and cutting and cutting and cutting until I swear I had almost no bang left. You know when your were 5 and your mom used to cut your hair ... thats what mine started to look like. I could almost hear my grandma saying 'I just don't want to have to cut them again in a week.' Actually I'm pretty sure she said something very similar to that! As I watched in horror as my bangs got shorter and shorter something happened to me that really has never happened beofe. I froze in terror. Pure terror over the fact that I'd gone in for something 'new and fresh, lighter and brighter' and I'd come out looking 'darker and scarier like a 30 year old with a 5 year olds haircut'. Whats funny is that I new she didn't like it either. She asked me when I was done 'do you like it?' with a small scared voice. I said yeah ... I think so ... Bad choice number ... really who's counting at this point?!

So for weeks I referred to my hair as 'new's anchor hair ... if your new's anchor was a hooker' because that is what it looked like a cross of. The hair = hooker, the cut = news anchor. It was awful. Finally I went in and had my lady at Cost cutters re cut it. And that helped a little. In a few weeks I'll go and have it colored...by someone else. I didn't complane...I should have ... but I didn't. I will, however, NEVER return to that shop.

Here's to hoping no one else has to go through these horrible adventures like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment